There is one thing all parents can agree on; a high-quality pancake griddle is an essential tool for the kitchen. Everyone needs a functional cooking surface on those hectic Saturday mornings when making pancakes for the whole family. Luckily, an electric griddle of your choice is readily available in the market today, all you have to do is figure out your exact needs such as;
- Preferred size
- Preferred coating
- Cooking guidelines
- Your recipes
If you want to purchase a new electric griddle, we have come up with five top-rated electric griddles to make your breakfast preparation easier. We will focus on the best pancake griddles, their coating, and other features.
1. Best Pancake Griddle: Black & Decker Family-Sized Electric Griddle With Warming Tray and Drip Tray
- Extra-Large Capacity - Cook for the whole family! The 8-serving cooking area offers...
- Non-Stick Cooking Surface - The durable non-stick cooking surface allows for easy cooking...
- Click & Lock Thermostat - The removable probe features an adjustable temperature knob,...
- Built-In Warming Tray - The slide-out warming tray lets you have everything hot and ready...
- Removable Drip Tray - Excess grease and fat drain into the removable tray for easy...
From the Black & Decker Store, this electric, non-stick griddle is the ultimate ideal choice for a big family. The large cooking surface measures 13 x 22 x 3 inches and weighs only 5.2 pounds. It cooks up to 8 pancakes at a go and has different temperature variables of up to 400°F.
As is routine with Black & Decker products, it comes with a 2-year warranty. Its drip tray is dishwasher safe, but you have to remove temperature control from the base first. In instances where you need to clean and resume your cooking quickly, you can remove any food debris and clean it in the sink.
The griddle has cool-touch handles on the sides, so it does not get hot enough to burn your hands.
- Lightweight despite its size, easily portable.
- Adjustable temperature control can go as high as 400°F.
- Large, non-stick cooking surface.
- Cool-touch sides to protect your hands from burning.
- Dishwasher safe.
- 2-year limited warranty.
- Relatively affordable.
- Free to download instruction manual.
- Relatively short power cord.
- Small drip tray.
2. Presto Tilt n Drain Big Electric Griddle
- The heavy cast aluminum base with premium nonstick surface assures stick-free cooking and...
- Built-in backstop ledge for convenient food handling
- Control Master heat control maintains the desired cooking temperature automatically;...
- Special Tilt'nDrain feature allows the griddle to easily adjust from a level grilling...
- Griddle tilts by simply pulling the handles outward; Push the handles back in and the...
As the name suggests, this Presto electric griddle is another ideal choice for cooking many pancakes at a go. The heavy cast aluminum griddle features a non-stick cooking surface that can cook around eight to ten pancakes simultaneously, significantly reducing your cooking time.
The griddle's large cooking surface measures 5.12 x 23.94 x 18.5 inches. Weighing approximately 8.5 pounds, you can even transport this griddle to an outdoor cooking event. This black pancake griddle also has a cool-touch area in the front and both sides of the cooking surface to protect your hands from burning.
With the Control Master heat control plug connecting the griddle to a power source, you can adjust the temperature to up to 400°F. Another cool feature of this griddle is that it can be adjusted to cook different foods such as eggs, meats, French toast, etc. With the Tilt n Drain feature exclusive to this product, you can tilt the griddle to a draining position for meats, and a flat position for pancakes, eggs, and French toast.
The non-stick feature makes the griddle easy to clean, and the base is safe to fully immerse in water as long as you remove the heat control plug prior. Please note that should the heat control attachment come into contact with water, it will likely get damaged and unable to properly function. However, if the griddle fails to properly function, Presto offers a 1-year limited warranty, and a free to download manual is easily accessible online.
3. Best Small Cooking Surface: Cuisinart 5 in 1 Griddler
- 5-in-1 countertop unit works as a contact grill, panini press, full grill, full griddle...
- Brushed stainless-steel housing; sturdy panini-style handle; floating cover to adjust to...
- Removable and reversible 11" x 9" dishwasher-safe nonstick cooking plates drain grease for...
- Adjustable temperature controls with indicator lights; gourmet recipes and scraping tool...
- Please refer to the Product Video and the User Manual before use.
It may not look like other flat surface griddles, but the Cuisinart 5 in 1 is one of the best stainless steel-housed electric pancake griddles in the market. It measures 13.5 x 11.5 x 7.12 inches. At 13.2 pounds, this griddle is portable should you want to use it outdoors.
Unlike common flat griddles, this one looks more like a panini press. However, it is a piece of multifunctional equipment with five cooking functions, namely;
- Full griddle
- Half griddle/grill
- Panini press
- Full grill
- Contact grill
You can use it to prepare different breakfast foods like eggs, hamburgers, pancakes, and sandwiches, among others, depending on how you set up the plates.
With two non stick plates, this Cuisinart griddle can grill steaks, meats, and veggies on one side, while the other can cook pancakes, eggs, French toast, and bacon. The grilling plate is a raised metal grill, while the cooking plate is a flat griddle. Both plates can be reversed to cook and grill, and are inserted at the bottom base and top cover. The plates are easily removable, and each plate is marked with the words 'upper' or 'lower' to make it easy to reassemble.
To function as a flat non-stick surface griddle, you can level the top cover plate with the base plate. With such setup, you would make more pancakes at a go compared to the four you would make on one plate.
The griddle has a base and cover made with stainless steel, and the flat top cover adjusts with food thickness.
For grilling and griddling, the Cuisinart Griddler features dual adjustable temperatures of between 200 and 425°F. This equipment is dishwasher safe and comes with a free manual with gourmet recipes after purchase. It is also covered by a 3-year limited warranty,
- Multifunctional for complete breakfast preparation.
- Safe handle.
- Adjusts to food thickness.
- Compact for travel convenience.
- Clean stainless steel housing.
- Removable plates and slide-out drip tray are easy to clean.
- Indicator lights for different cooking functions.
- Comes with gourmet recipes.
- 3-year limited warranty.
- Heavier than other flat non-stick surface griddles.
4. Presto 22 Inch Griddle
- Premium nonstick surface provides stick-free cooking and easy cleaning. Slide-out drip...
- Control Master heat control maintains the desired cooking temperature automatically. Heavy...
- Griddle is fully immersible with the heat control removed.
- Simply open latch clips to detach handles from griddle base. No tools needed.
- With handles removed, base stores in most standard 18-inch kitchen cabinets.Cooking area:...
Another quality griddle from Presto is a premium electric non-stick griddle made out of heavy cast aluminum. It is 11.5 inches long, 26.25 inches wide, and 2.5 inches high, with a 231 square inch non stick cooking area. Weighing 6.5 pounds, this Presto pancake griddle stores perfectly in standard 18-inch kitchen cabinets with the handles removed.
Like the Presto Tilt n Drain Big Griddle, the Presto 22 Inch Griddle has a Control Master heat control plug connecting it to a power outlet. It can also heat up to, and maintain a temperature of up to 400°F.
The cast aluminum griddle is warp-proof and easy to clean. It also has a slide-out tray to make cleaning easier and more effective. To clean, you need to make sure the heat control plug is removed from the base so you can immerse the griddle in water.
- Easy cleaning.
- Impeccable heat regulation.
- Removable handles for easier storing.
- Premium textured non-stick surface for easy cooking.
- Made with heavy-duty material.
- Sturdy legs and handles that are easy to remove.
- Removable handles require extra storage.
- The textured surface may leave a pattern on breakfast foods.
5. Hamilton Beach Durathon Non-Stick Ceramic Griddle
- 200 SQUARE INCH COOKING SURFACE: Plenty of room for all your breakfast favorites and...
- Durathon Ceramic Nonstick Coating: Cooking Surface Is Four Times More Durable Than...
- Adjustable Temperature Control: The Dial Can Be Set to Temperatures Between 200-400ºF
- Easy to Clean: Cooktop Is Fully Immiscible With Cord Removed and Grease Tray Is Removable...
- Cool-Touch Handles: Remain Cool to the Touch Throughout the Cooking Cycle Refer to the PDF...
This ceramic griddle has a 200 square inch, non-stick cooking surface that makes evenly cooking pancakes and cleaning very easy. Whether you want to prepare mouth-watering hash browns, eggs, bacon, grilled cheese sandwiches, sausages, or pancakes, this griddle's temperature control system supports all your recipes.
It features cool-touch handles and a removable grease tray you can safely toss into the dishwasher. With the power cord removed, you can fully immerse this griddle in soapy water to clean all grease.
It measures 24.4 x 12.8 x 3.2 inches and weighs 6.86 pounds to make it quite portable.
- Made with durable ceramic coating.
- Easy cleaning process, with removable, dishwasher safe grease tray,
- Large cooking area.
- Cool-touch handles.
- Requires plenty of storage space.
A Few Features and Factors to Look for When Buying Your Best Pancake Griddle
Buying an electric or stovetop griddle is a huge investment for your kitchen. It is a piece of equipment you will want to use for long, thus the need to evaluate your options carefully. The following are some factors and features to consider for your new pancake griddle.
1. Plate material
All pancake griddles have different materials for nonstick coating, like cast iron, Teflon, and ceramic. Below are some of the pancake griddle materials you may find in the market today.
This material makes heavy pans and griddles that can last a lifetime. The more they stay in use, the more durable they become. Most cast iron griddles are oven and grill friendly.
They are easy to clean, which must be done with a lot of care to prevent oxidation. To do so, wash with water, dry thoroughly, and wipe with some oil.
However, most cast iron griddles are not electric, so you will need to have a functional stove to use them.
This material makes pancake cooking easy and affordable. Because you don't require a lot of oil or butter, a nonstick pan or griddle will surely make your budget more affordable.
However, in your hunt for a nonstick coated pan, make sure the one you buy does not contain PFOA, PFAS, Cadmium, and Lead as these are chemicals that are not suitable in cookware.
When cleaning nonstick pans, ensure you use a soft soap and scouring sponge.
Ceramic coating is made from a combination of silicon and oxygen to form a hard coating that is even harder to peel.
Compared to non-stick griddles, ceramic coated ones may be more expensive, easier to clean and have better heat retention.
However, the ceramic coating may peel faster, and the cookware is more expensive than nonstick griddles.
To get the best griddle for your needs, keep in mind that these griddles, while new, will function very differently.
For instance, a cast iron griddle will only get better with continued use, while a ceramic or nonstick griddle will function best when new.
You will also need to buy different accessories with your griddles, such as wooden or plastic spatulas that won't chip the coating.
Size is an obvious factor to consider depending on how many pancakes you want to cook at a time and the number of people you will serve. Ensure you get one with a large surface area to pour the most batter and finish cooking faster. The last thing you want is a pan that will keep your pancake batter waiting for hours.
Size is also a factor to consider because of storage. Many big-sized griddles may not fit in your kitchen cabinets, meaning you will have to devise better, clever storage ideas.
3. Design and shape
Some griddles are designed as flat surfaces, while others will look like a panini press. Others will have smooth plates, while others will be patterned.
Since the best griddles may be shaped differently, it is vital to understand how the shapes affect the amount of pancake batter you pour on them, and how long it will take for adequate heat distribution.
4. Visual appeal
If you, like many other people, need the motivation to make pancakes, having a visually unappealing griddle every time you step in to cook won't motivate you.
If you are specific with colors, choose one that most appeals to you. You can find silver and black griddles on Amazon.
While you want a griddle to cook pancakes, it can help research how you can get creative with it for other foods.
For instance, you can use a griddle to prepare enough steak for the whole family if it comes with a removable drip tray. If it is oven-safe, you can also use the plate for baking, grilling, or heating different types of food.
6. Your budget
How much money you have defines the type of pancake griddle you buy. Different materials, sizes, functions, and customer ratings mean different prices.