According to the World Health Organization, close to four million people die due to household air pollution, most of which results from inefficient cooking practices. As the discussion about a greener planet intensifies, you want to ensure you play your part, including cooking with clean energy. Let us help you discover the best portable electric stove to get today.
What Is a Portable Electric Stove?
A portable electric stove is an electrically powered stove that you can use to cook food on the go. These stoves are powered by electricity which is converted into heat energy through electric heating elements, such as coils or resistance wires.
The stove comes in different sizes for different purposes. For example, if you want to use it for cooking for the whole family, you will need to find a double burner, while a single burner is great for camping or preparing small meals at home.
In addition to size, the small electric stove will come with different cooking surfaces that determine how much time it takes to get hot or cool down and which pots and pans you can use with each. If you are looking for your best portable electric stove, we have compiled this list to make it easier to choose.
Are portable electric stoves better?
1. Elite Gourmet Portable Coiled Electric Hot Burner
- ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE CONTROLS: Quickly reach and sustain the desired LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Coiled heating element is easy to clean with a damp cloth or non abrasive...
- BUILT-IN SAFETY: Power indicator light on the front of the burner reminds users when the...
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: The compact size of our burner makes it an easily accessible item to...
- EFFICIENT POWER: With a wattage of 750 Watts, the heating element and temperature control...
Are you looking for a lightweight yet portable single burner electric stove for your dorm, camping trip, or outdoor cooking? This Elite Gourmet coiled electric stove is your best buy. It has a high 750-wattage so it can cook small meals fast.
Additionally, the stove has adjustable temperature settings that you can change using the clear and sturdy knob. You can easily choose between low, medium, and high-temperature cooking, while the knob also allows you to turn it on and off.
The stove is easy to clean as the coiled burner lifts easily to give you access to the drip pan. The stove also comes with non-slip rubber feet so that it won't slide off counters or tables. It weighs only 1.75 pounds and is easy to carry in a camping bag or to store in a home cabinet when not in use.
2. Duxtop 1800W Portable Induction Cooktop
- Duxtop Induction Cooktop uses 120V 15 amp electrical outlet - standard in all North...
- Digital control panel. Built-in count-down digital timer with 1 minute increments up to...
- With no open flame or heating element, food does not burn-on the glass cooktop so this...
- The auto-pan detection will shut the unit automatically after 60 seconds if no cookware is...
- Note: In order to use this and any other induction stove, you need to use cookware with a...
An induction stove is ideal when you want a clean cooking surface. In addition, the unit does not increase room temperatures, so you will be comfortable when cooking in your kitchen. This Duxtop single burner stove is ideal for modern homes as it uses 120V 15amp power outlets.
This best portable electric stove comes with a clean glass surface, so you will need to avoid rough cookware that can leave scratches. In addition, the stove comes with a digital control panel that allows you to adjust the timer (up to 170 minutes) and temperature settings ( from 140 °F to 460 °F). It also has ten power levels that use 200-1800 watts.
The easy-to-clean surface also has an auto-pan detection feature that makes it shut off when not in use. This energy-efficient stove also comes with a diagnostic error message system and voltage warning.
Though a bit expensive, the stove comes with a 2-year warranty and is compatible with induction pots with 5-inch diameters. It is also available in two digital panel colors to choose from.
3. Techwood Cast Iron Single Electric Burner
- 🍳 SPACE-SAVING & PORTABLE DESIGN - Techwood Hot Plate used compact and flat design...
- 🍳 ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE - Techwood countertop cooktop can be used with any type of...
- 🍳 MULTIPURPOSE - Techwood cast-iron single burner heats efficiently to cook a variety...
- 🍳 POWERFUL & SAFE - Powered by 1500W, Techwood electric stove heats up food faster than...
- 🍳 WARRANTY - Techwood offers an excellent fan-favorite 18-month warranty and friendly...
If you are looking for a portable and space-saving stove, this Techwood unit will make your cooking easy. It comes with a cast iron flat surface, which allows the best heat distribution and allows you to use the heaviest cookware without damaging it.
It is a single burner that makes transportation easy and is powered by 1500 watts of electrical power for faster cooking. It is easy to clean, and the brushed stainless steel casing also prevents unnecessary staining.
The cooktop comes with sturdy stainless steel riveted stay-cool handles and non-slip rubber feet, so it stays grounded on the counter or table. It is also affordable and comes with an 18-month manufacturer's warranty.
4. Cusimax LED Infrared Electric Portable Stove
- [WORKS WITH ALL TYPES OF COOKWARE]: Compatible with pots and pans with maximum size of 7.9...
- [HEAT-UP IN SECONDS] Compared to a Cast-iron hot plate which takes 10 minutes to heat up,...
- [KEY FEATURES] Elegant oval ceramic glass surface, LED display screen, Fast cool down by...
- [SAFE & DURABLE] NO Radiation, our infrared cooktop works by far infrared heating and has...
- [WARRANTY] 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. 18-Month warranty by registering with us. Customer...
This glass stove works with all types of cookware, from glass, stainless steel, copper, and induction pots, among others. If you are looking for a space stove that is also easy to carry around and does not need a lot of counter or table space, this Cusimax could be your best buy.
The stove heats up fast and has good heat distribution. It also has a power range of 100W to 1500W, while it draws power from a 120V outlet. It can evenly heat big pots with 7.9-inch diameters, which is great when you need a fast meal for two or three people.
It is a beautiful oval glass surface with a digital control panel and LED lighting, so you can easily adjust the settings. Though a bit expensive, the stove comes with a 30-day moneyback guarantee plus an 18-month warranty period.
5. Duxtop LCD Portable Double Induction Cooktop
- 【DUAL HEATING ZONES】→ This professional digital countertop induction cooktop by...
- 【SAFE—EASY TO USE—EASY TO CLEAN】→ Child safety lock system helps protect from...
- 【CHOOSE POWER MODE OR TEMPERATURE MODE】→ There are 20 preset levels per mode so you...
- 【ENERGY EFFICIENT】→ Electric cooktops place the electromagnetic energy directly into...
- 【WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS】→ This double induction cooker is compatible with cast...
When you need the best portable electric stove for home use, you can consider a double burner model that allows you to cook two pots at a time. But, cooking two pots can get your room quite hot, which is why an induction stove makes the most sense.
This Duxtop double induction cooktop comes with two separate control panels so you can set different timers and temperatures for both pots. In addition, it comes with 20 preset values for cooking on each burner.
While you will need special induction cookware for this stove, you will find it easy to use and clean. Also, the stove is designed for North American standards and is ETL-approved.
6. IMUSA USA GAU-80306 Electric Coiled Double Burner
- Can Be Used for Cooking Outdoors or in the Office
- Features a Temperature Regulating Knob with Heat Distribution Coils
- Power Indicator Light
- Stay cool knob and sides
- Stability feet to prevent sliding
This best double burner stove uses exposed coils to cook so that you can use any type of cookware without worry. In addition, it comes in a slim design that allows easy storage when not in use and easy portability when you want to cook outdoors.
It is a lightweight stove with an easy-to-use temperature control and power knob. It also comes with indicator lights, so you know when it is heating and at which level. It is an affordable double burner cooktop, and it also comes with reliable stability feet to prevent sliding as you cook.
7. CUSIMAX 1800W Double Cast Iron Hot Plate
- [Works With All Types of Cookware]: Compatible with pots and pans with maximum size of 7.4...
- [Cast-Iron Burners & Easy Cooking]: Turn on/off the burner by just turning the knob, easy...
- [Convenient] Powered by 120V and 900-Watts (left plate) + 900-Watts (right plate), add up...
- [Safe & Durable] NO Radiation, compare to induction cooktop, cast-iron burner works by...
- [Customer Service] 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. Customer Satisfaction is our goal, and...
When you have heavier pots and want to cook two meals at a go, this Cusimax double burner cast iron stove could be your best buy. Not only is it easy to clean the plates and body, but it also supports all types of cookware.
The cooktop comes with two sturdy knobs so you can easily control temperatures on both burners. In addition, the stove uses 900-1800 watts to cook, so you can use both burners simultaneously and still cook fast enough.
The electric stove comes with a 30-day moneyback guarantee and a lifetime customer service offer. However, while it is easy to use, it is not the most energy-efficient as it takes longer to heat up and cool down.
8. Ovente Electric Double Ceramic Glass Hot Plate
- Hassle-Free Cooking Experience – Powered by 120V (1700W), this cooktop uses infrared...
- Compatible with All Cookware – This countertop burner works well with virtually all...
- Classy and Portable – The stainless steel housing and sleek crystallite ceramic glass...
- Easy to Clean – Cleaning the crystallite glass and stainless steel housing is fast and...
- US-based Customer Service lets you buy with confidence. Ovente warranties that the product...
Infrared burners such as this Ovente stove make cooking a breeze because they heat up fast and work with all types of cookware. Powered by 120V (1700W), this modern cooktop allows you to cook two meals at a go, and it also has straightforward controls which allow you to set your desired temperature for each burner.
The glass surface is easy to clean, as is the stainless steel body. It offers even heat distribution to 7.75" and 6.75" diameter pots and pans, and it only weighs 4.6 pounds which makes it quite portable. In addition, it is affordable and comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Types of Portable Electric Stoves
When you are looking for a small electric stove, you need to understand the different designs to pick one that is best for your needs. Here are three stoves you can consider.
a) Electric coil stoves
As the name suggests, an electric coil burner comes with exposed electric coils that heat your pots. When cooking, you place your pot directly on the coils made of metal tubing. These burners are the most affordable, but they may take a while to heat up and generate enough power to cook fast.
While this portable electric burner is your best budget buy, it does come with a few downsides. First, you will want to handle it with care when cooking as the coils can burn your hands. In addition, it takes a while to cool down, which may not help save energy.
Luckily, apart from being affordable, these portable stoves come in various designs such as single and double burners and have easy temperature settings. They are also more durable, and you can use them with all pots and pans.
b) Cast iron stoves
When you need a powerful and easy-to-clean stove, you can get a cast-iron stove. These stoves use electric coils that are covered in a cast-iron surface. The flat burner surface makes it easier to clean, and it also generates and distributes enough heat to cook food evenly. This design is great as it also allows you to use any pot you have as it is durable and scratch-resistant.
c) Glass-ceramic electric stoves
These stoves are designed like coil stoves, but the metal tubing is covered with a glass-ceramic top. Additionally, like the coil tops, these stoves also get hot-to-the-touch, so you will need to be careful when using them.
The cooking surface is durable and easy to clean. However, while you can use different pots or pans, you need to ensure they all have smooth bottoms not to scratch the cooktop. In addition, you will want to store your electric stove safely when not in use as the surface can break if hit with something heavy.
The biggest advantage of a glass-ceramic portable stove is its minimalistic look plus the ease of cleaning. In terms of cooking, this stove can come with one or two burners with fast heating. However, if using a double burner, this stove will distribute power to both burners, which could leave you with less heat, thus slower cooking. Nevertheless, the stove has easy temperature settings, so it is easy to use at home or outdoors.
d) Induction cooktop
The induction burner is the most energy-efficient of all portable electric stoves as it does not rely on electrical heat only to cook. Instead, the induction stove uses eddy current to heat your cooking vessels. While it comes with a glass surface, the interior consists of a coil of copper wire that allows electrical heat to pass through it. As a result, an oscillating magnetic field is what heats your pots and pans.
This cooking technology relies on special induction cookware made with ferrous metals like stainless steel or cast iron. The ferrous metals will concentrate electric and magnetic currents to heat the pots. When buying your pots, you might need to find those with thicker bottoms to gather the most heat.
Unlike the other stoves, induction stoves do not get very hot, so they are easier to handle when cooking. In addition, the smooth surfaces are easy to clean, while the temperature settings are easy to work with. Unfortunately, these electric stoves are the most expensive, and you will also need to get compatible pots, adding to the price.
Who Needs a Portable Electric Stove?
Everyone needs a portable electric stove. Not only does it save your kitchen space, but it also allows you to enjoy hot meals when camping or when your gas lines do not work, and it can also help you save the planet for future generations.
According to a study by Stanford University, gas stoves release the methane gas known for its planet-warming potential. In addition, previous ratings by the EPA have also indicated unhealthy emissions from gas cooking.
So, if you need to protect your family, neighbors, and planet, now is the time to get the best portable electric stove. Here are other benefits of using an electrically-powered portable stove for your cooking;
- An electric stove keeps your kitchen cooler. Since these stoves do not emit live flames, they do not make your kitchen uncomfortably hot.
- They have better heat distribution compared to gas flames. Again, since these electric stoves do not use flames, they offer even heat distribution that is not compromised by burner blockages or faulty gas lines.
- They have better temperature settings for easier cooking, and they also come with an indicator light to help you choose the best temperature.
- They are easier to clean. The smooth cooking surface of an electric stove is easier to wipe with a damp microfiber cloth.
- You can carry your portable stove to cook on the go. All you need is a power outlet, unlike a gas stove that limits you to a fixed gas line,
Portable electric burners are the best cooking options if you travel frequently or love to cook outdoors without damaging the planet. However, good as they are, they can also limit you in the following ways;
- They are more expensive than gas stoves.
- Some electric stoves can take a while to heat up.
- You can easily damage the portable stove if you hit it or drop it accidentally.
- You cannot use it without an electric current.
- The portable stoves are not as powerful as the full-size range.
Factors to Consider when Buying the Best Portable Electric Stove
Even with a list of the best portable electric stoves in the market right now, you still need to make a few considerations to get one that fits your needs. Are you a camper, frequent traveler, or looking to use the stove at home? Here are some features to pay attention to before buying an electric stove.
a) Heating power
The best electric stoves come with different power ratings measured in watts. When buying, you can look for stoves with wattages between 700-1500. Normally, these will take less time to heat your cooking vessels, but it will also depend on how many burners your stove has. A single burner will use all the power to heat your pot, but a double burner may distribute the heat if you cook with both burners.
As seen before, you can choose between several types of electric stoves. You will need to decide which stove between electric coil stoves and others with a flat surface is ideal for you. Think of the pots you have for compatibility, and how messy a cook you are, as cleaning is vital after food preparation.
Your portable stove can come in a single or double burner design. Before you buy, understand the meal sizes you want to make, how often, and for how many people. A single burner is always ideal for making a small meal in less time, while a double burner allows you to make larger meals slowly.
You want a stove you can throw in your travel bag when traveling or one you can store away when not using it at home. As such, factors like size and weight play a big role in your buying process.
When you want a stove for your camping trips, you need a single burner, so the unit is lightweight enough. However, if you go for a double burner design, it might be best to get a foldable stove that collapses into a compact size. Alternatively, a home-use stove needs to be slim for easy storage, but you won't need to worry about the weight as much.
When buying your stove, observe its construction to understand how long it can withstand frequent use. The most delicate stoves are glass-ceramic and induction stoves. They are delicate because of the cooking surface that can easily break if mishandled.
When you want to guarantee durability, you also need to consider control knobs. With most glass-ceramic and induction burners, you will often find an easy-to-use digital interface, but these are not always good. The touch features can rub off or get damaged by moisture, thus rendering the whole unit tough to use.
In most cases, look for a sturdy temperature knob you can easily turn clockwise or anticlockwise to set ideal cooking temperatures.
f) Safety features
Before buying any portable electric cooktop, ensure it has enough safety for cooking in different environments. The main features to look for are indicator lights to indicate the surface is hot and non-slip rubber feet to keep the cooktop grounded on the counter or table.
Frequently Asked Questions About Portable Electric Stoves
a) Who needs the stove?
The portable stoves are ideal for camping, picnics, and home use. They are easy to use with easy control features, are easy to clean, and do not harm the environment.
b) Is an induction burner worth the money?
While it comes at a high price, an induction stove is the most energy-efficient and planet-safe cooking plate. In addition, they come with a glass surface that will not burn your hands and are easy to wipe clean.
c) Is an induction stove the same as a glass cooktop?
No. While the stoves may have the same appearance, these cooking surfaces differ in how they generate heat. For example, a glass cooktop has an electric burner that generates heat from electricity, while an induction burner uses electromagnetic energy to eat induction pots and pans.
d) Can I use cast iron cookware on a portable electric stove?
Yes, you can use cast iron pots and pans on the best portable electric stove. However, since the pots are heavy and often come with a rough exterior, you will need to carefully place them on the glass and induction stoves to prevent any damage.
Featured image source: pexels.com