One of the refreshing cold drinks for summertime, particularly gatherings, is a well-prepared ice-cold margarita. You can make margaritas in a variety of ways, but for a perfect margarita, you need to add the best triple sec for margaritas.
While different people have different varieties of margaritas, and some of them prefer using a pre-made mix, there is no bigger joy than mixing the flavors just how you like it. However, it requires a bit of practice and testing to make that perfect margarita. Luckily, we have some tips for you.
In this guide, we'll help you discover the best triple sec for margaritas and give you a comprehensive understanding of the right orange liqueur recipe to achieve a classic cocktail.
What is Triple Sec?
Triple sec can be a mystery for many people, especially those who don't work behind a bar or regularly make cocktails at home. Ideally, triple sec is a style of an orange liqueur. It is a word used to describe a family of orange liqueurs or a specific liqueur.
'Sec' is a French word that means 'dry.' The first triple sec was made in France in 1834, and the markers worked from their own kitchen to achieve that perfect flavor balance. The liqueur is made from bitter orange peels that provide it with a zingy citrus taste. Although it can be consumed straight from the bottle, most people will drink this Triple sec in a cocktail, for instance, margarita.
Triple sec comes in handy to complete a margarita. It sweetens the mixture and rounds out the flavors for a well-balanced drink. The first triple sec to be made was Combier Triple sec, but it was not the only one. So, here are some of the best triple secs for margaritas.
Which is the best triple sec for margaritas?
1. Monin - Sugar-Free Triple Sec Syrup
- GREAT FOR COCKTAILS, MOCKTAILS, & MOCHAS: Get the party started with this alcohol &...
- TASTING NOTES: This nearly colorless orange-flavored liqueur maintains the same great...
- SPECIFICATIONS: Our Sugar Free Triple Sec Syrup is allergen free, dairy free, gluten free,...
- SYRUP TO SUPPORT BEE COLONIES: Colony Collapse Disorder is greatly reducing bee...
- GREEN PACKAGING & LABELING: With BPA free bottles, 100% recyclable boxes comprised of 30%...
Get your margarita recipe started with the Monin - Sugar-Free Triple Sec Syrup. This alcohol and calorie-free orange liqueur provide a perfect base for several skinny cocktails, mochas, low-calorie mocktails, etc. As one of the best orange liqueurs, this nearly colorless triple sec has a concentrated flavor of sweetness.
It is made from sweet oranges peels that provide a mild citrus smell with every classic margarita mix. This sugar-free syrup is dairy-free, calorie-free, dairy-free, and allergen-free. Furthermore, it has no artificial preservatives or artificial colors added to the formula. It is packaged on BPA-free bottles that ensure safe use.
2. Finest Call Premium Triple Sec Syrup Drink Mix
- ONLY THE BEST: Made with natural orange extract for a sweet, orange peel, candy flavor....
- PERFECT POUR: Features the patented Finest Call packaging with a new dispensing closure...
- CONSISTENT & STABLE: 100% consistent flavor and yield
- WHAT THE PROS USE: Finest Call Cocktail Mixes are the highest quality, most...
- PERFECTLY PACKAGED: 1 liter bottle (33.8 fl oz.) comes individually boxed for safe...
If you're in search of a triple sec with no alcohol or reduced alcohol, then the Finest Call Premium Triple Sec Syrup Drink Mix is an amazing option. This drink comes with all the best features, about triple sec but with no alcohol in it.
It is a flavored syrup that you can easily find in the market today. This syrup comes with a very sweet orange flavor and is also made from a natural orange extract. It has a delicious and sweet flavor every single time, and every bottle comes equipped with an easy-to-use pour top that ensures no mess while making triple sec cocktails.
3. Master of Mixes Cocktail Essentials Triple Sec
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: Premium blend of natural orange extracts and essential oils combine...
- STRIKING DESIGN: Sleek, angular Simply Squeeze mixo bottle with new spout
- AUTHENTIC COCKTAILS: Perfect finishing touch for the most popular cocktails like...
- TRUSTED PRODUCT: Gluten-free and dairy-free. Certified kosher by the Orthodox Union
- PERFECTLY PACKAGED: A single, 375 ML (12.7 fl oz) bottle comes individually boxed for safe...
The Master of Mixes Cocktail Essentials Triple Sec boasts a premium blend of essential oils, natural sweeteners and natural orange extracts. It comes with a sleek and angular squeeze mix bottle and a new sprout for easy use. Moreover, the bottle comes individually packed for safe shipping and delivery.
It can be used in the most popular cocktails like cosmopolitan, margaritas, and long island iced teas. For safe and healthy use, this product is dairy-free and gluten-free. As the best triple sec for margaritas, the Master of Mixes cocktails allows you to mix hassle-free and quality cocktails no matter your skill level.
4. Daily's Cocktail Mixer, Triple Sec
- The taste of tangy orange peel adds the perfect amount of zip to any refreshing, ice cold...
- Perfect for your Margarita, Long Island Iced Tea, and of course, the always chic...
The Daily's Cocktail Mixer, Triple Sec, features a taste of any orange juice, which adds an amazing flavor to any refreshing cold drink. As one of the best triple sec for margaritas, this orange liqueur is perfectly designed for a margarita, cosmopolitan, and long island iced tea.
This is a secret ingredient for all classical cocktails. It is made from real lime juice and mixed with a non-alcoholic triple sec, which makes it a great one for making classic cocktails, especially a traditional margarita. This mixer has all-natural flavors that leave you feeling refreshed and satisfied.
5. 1883 Maison Routin Triple Sec Syrup
With a sweet scent of orange peels, the 1883 Maison Routin Triple Sec Syrup provides the intensity of the popular orange liqueurs with a lemony taste. This best orange liqueur is alcohol-free and is also made from carefully selected ingredients for a perfect classic margarita.
This orange-flavored drink is made from pure cane sugar and pure Alpine water. Approved by the Vegetarian Society and a certified Kosher, this syrup is both cholesterol and gluten-free, making it safe for consumption. In addition, the flavor of this drink can also be mixed with both hot and cold milk.
Other Triple Secs That Can Be Used For A Margarita
Let's look at other triple sec options that you can find in your local store.
1. Combier Triple Sec
Combier Triple sec is the first-ever triple sec that is still rated highly even today. It has an orange blossom fragrance and a bitter orange zest to give a great zest flavor for a clean and fragrant beverage. It is best accompanied by cooked lemons and preserved oranges as the alcohol volume is at 40%. This drink gives a scrumptious zesty orange aftertaste and can be consumed straight on the rocks or with your margarita.
2. Bols Triple Sec
Bols triple sec is on the sweeter side as it gives a mouthwatering flavor of the curacao orange peel. Unlike other brands like Cointreau, this one lacks flavor distraction. It has a clean taste due to the lack of artificial flavors. The alcohol content here is at 38%.
3. Giffard Triple Sec
Despite Giffard being a less known brand, it has a balanced and clean taste. This triple sec comes with a zesty orange taste and a hint of grapefruit that adds an extra zing. It also features a unique icing sugar after taste, making it a perfect choice for a sweet tooth. Just like Cointreau, this is made of both sweet and bitter oranges, with the alcohol percentage being 25.
4. Mr. Stacks Triple Sec
Despite it being a bit challenging to find, Mr. Stacks is an American favorite. It is made and distributed from the USA and sold in 750 ml bottles. It features a sweet citrus flavor and an alcoholic volume of 30%
5. Drillaud Triple Sec
Although not quite popular as Combier or Cointreau, Drillaud is a bit easier to find than Mr. Stacks. It features a strong and nice flavor of orange peel. Made in France, its flavor is delicious but not too strong to unbalance the taste in your margarita. This orange-flavored liqueur has an alcoholic volume of 35%
6. Cointreau Triple Sec
Cointreau is one of the most popular options out there. Although it is not considered a triple sec, its concept is the same. Ideally, it is a strong drink that is well known for its high alcohol content of about 40%. It makes use of both sweet and bitter oranges as well as sugar and beet alcohol. However, it is a dark and strong orange liqueur which may interfere with the color of your drink.
7. DeKuyper Triple Sec
If you have been visiting your local bar, you've probably come across Dekuyper as it is the most popularly used triple sec for cocktails and mixers. This orange-flavored liqueur is not only easy to find but also a budget-friendly option. However, it has no special features except from an alcoholic volume of 24%.
8. Vita Divine Triple Sec
Vita Divine is not very rare but also not very common. It is a well-made beverage that is similar to Dekuyper. Moreover, it is one of the sweetest triple secs, making it a perfect choice for a sweet tooth. It has an alcoholic percentage of 15.
Types of Triple Sec
There are various types of triple secs that you can use in your margarita. Here are some of the common types.
- Grand Marnier- This is a curacao or a triple sec hybrid. It is full of developed and rich intrigue and flavor from Cognac. However, it is the most expensive.
- Cointreau- This gives a balanced taste between sweet and bitter, with additional warm spices to increase nuance and complexity. It features a clean and smooth finish as well as a fragrant aroma.
- Straightforward Triple Sec- This is quite citrusy, more like an orange-infused vodka.
What Do You Consider When Buying the Best Triple Sec for Margaritas?
All triple secs do not have the same ingredients. As a result, you should always read the ingredients list to determine what is in the bottle of the best triple sec for margaritas. You will be surprised to find extra sugar and sweeteners or other ingredients that may be harmful to your health.
Generally, triple sec is an orange-flavored liqueur. However, there are different tastes when it comes to different brands. While some brands provide flavor notes of spices, others are either too bitter or too sweet. It is crucial to find a flavor that is well balanced and has a great flavor.
After opening a bottle of triple sec, the orange peel aroma coming from the bottle is quite appealing. There are other different aromas for example a whiff of spices, freshly cut grass, etc. Ensure the aroma of the triple sec is pleasing for you and whoever will be partaking it.
How Do You Make a Triple Sec Margarita?
Here is an easy triple sec margarita recipe.
- Two tablespoons or one ounce of triple sec
- Three tablespoons of Tequila Blanco or reposado
- One and a half tablespoons of fresh lime juice.
- Flaky sea salt or kosher salt for the rim
- Lime wedge to garnish
- Four cracked ice cubes
- Cut a lime wedge and run the lime on the rim of the cocktail glass.
- Dip the rim of the glass into a plate of salt.
- Place all the other ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake until well mixed.
- Pour the margarita cocktail into the glass with the salted rim, then fill the glass with ice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Triple Sec
1. What type of cocktails can you make using triple sec?
There are many different cocktails that are popularly made with triple sec. These cocktails include margaritas, martini, cosmopolitan, sidecar, kamikaze, red sangria, and the long island iced tea.
2. How much alcohol is in a triple sec?
The amount of alcohol in Triple sec varies depending on the brand. However, most triple sec brands will have an alcohol content ranging from 15 to 40%, with 40% being on the higher side of traditional triple sec options.
3. Can you mix triple sec with other alcohol types?
Yes! Triple sec can be mixed with different alcohol types. Some of the popular combinations that mix well with triple sec are rum, vodka, and Bourbon.