Deep frying food and making stir fry is one of the ways to spice up your menu at home.
What is the best type of wok for electric stove?
Unfortunately, it can be challenging to do this with a regular pan, so you need the best wok for electric stove use. This post explores the top ten options and the factors you should consider as you make your selection.
Let's get started!
1. Joyce Chen Flat Bottom Wok
- Large traditional wok with lightweight composition and helper handle for better...
- Heats evenly to prevent scorching and cook stir frys evenly
- 1.8mm heavy-duty carbon steel gauge can handle high temps up to 500 degrees
- Oven safe up to 350 degrees with the removable resin handles attached
- Season the uncoated surface often to get the most life and flavor out of your wok
Starting our review today is the Joyce Chen Flat Bottomed Wok, which is traditionally large to ensure you can cook enough for a large family. This 14-inch carbon steel wok is lightweight and has phenolic handles making it easy to carry food and maneuver in the kitchen.
While it's lighter than other woks, it's still strong enough to withstand the conditions of a busy cooking space. It'll last years, and you won't be going back to the store to get another one any time soon. Even your food will be more enjoyable because the material distributes heat evenly to ensure you don't experience any scorching.
Stir-frying and deep-frying involve high temperatures, which can destroy the structure of standard cooking pans. Fortunately, the Joyce Chen Flat Bottom wok can withstand up to 500 degrees of temperature without compromising its build. The resin handles are also detachable to fit in ovens without hassle.
2. Lodge Pro-Logic Wok with Flat Base
- One Lodge Pre-Seasoned 14 Inch Cast Iron Wok
- Large handles and flat base for easier handling
- Unparalleled heat retention and even heating
- Pre-seasoned with 100% natural vegetable oil
- Use to sear, sauté, bake, broil, braise, fry, or grill
Next up, we have the Lodge Pro-Logic Wok, which is the best wok for electric stove cooking. It's a cast-iron wok designed to retain heat for longer than other metal cooking utensils allowing you to use it for stir-frying and other forms of cooking. The flat bottom makes it an excellent choice for electric stoves.
This wok is made from high-quality materials to ensure it can last through decades of cooking without quickly getting out of shape. It can be a great addition to your kitchen since you can even pass it down to a loved one if the opportunity presents itself. The seasoned surface ensures that releasing food from this wok will only get easier over time.
This wok can hold heat for long, and it also delivers even heat distribution to ensure your food cooks uniformly. Additionally, you can use it in your oven, on the grill, and even over a campfire.
3. Helen's Asian Kitchen Wok
- Helen’s Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok for stir frying, stewing, sauteing, steaming,...
- Made from 1. 8-millimeter carbon steel with 2-tone heat-resistant bamboo handle and helper...
- Carbon steel distributes heat quickly so foods cook evenly; cooking surface collects a...
- Flat bottom design sits securely on any stovetop; works with gas, electric and induction;...
- Carbon steel is easily seasoned and maintained to help prevent rust; full instructions...
Here's another carbon steel wok that some consider the best wok for electric stove use. If you are into Asian dishes and recipes, this is the wok of your dreams. You can use it for stewing, stir-frying, deep-frying, steaming, braising, and much more. It's a versatile cooking surface that will serve multiple functions in the kitchen.
The carbon steel is designed to deliver a durable performance that can last many years. Since it can be hard to remove hot woks from the stove, this one comes with heat-resistant bamboo handles to help you safely carry it out of the heat source. Plus, one of the handles also allows you to hang the wok for easy storage.
You can execute your wok cooking on an electric stove, induction cooktop, or gas stove without worry. To ensure you maintain this wok, we recommend you hand wash it rather than placing it in a dishwasher. The surface of this wok will improve its non-stick performance over time to ensure you can easily release food after cooking.
4. Souped Up Recipes Carbon Steel Wok
- PRE-SEASONED FOR IMMEDIATE USE - Sizzling stir frys, crispy deep frys, pan-searing to...
- VIDEO AND WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS - Had problems with other carbon steel woks getting rusty?...
- THE ORIGINAL FLAT BOTTOM WOK - Works on electric stoves, induction stoves, gas ranges and...
- SOUPED UP RECIPES CARBON STEEL WOK - Manufactured and imported by popular Youtuber, Souped...
- VIRAL TAKEOUT RECIPES - Over 900,000 subscribers trust her recipes... and we'll also...
You can also choose this carbon steel wok by Souped Up Recipes for exceptional performance when preparing stir fry and deep-fried foods. This wok comes preseasoned, and you can use it as soon as you get it to make soups and stews. It's the ideal surface for preparing your crispy deep-fried foods and sizzling stir-fried meals.
A lot of people have trouble taking proper care of carbon steel woks, but you won't have to guess what to do with this one. There are written instructions on maintaining this wok, and you could even watch the YouTube video from the Souped Up Recipes website to ensure you do everything right.
Thanks to the flat bottom of this wok, you can use it on gas ranges, induction cooktops, and electric stoves. With over 900,000 subscribers, Souped Up Recipes is a reliable source of cookware and cooking recipes if you want to become a wok cooking guru.
5. Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick Flat Bottom Wok
Our next pick is a nonstick option that's made from hard-anodized aluminum that's designed to gently and uniformly distribute heat to cook your food without sticking. This makes it an easy-to-clean option that's dishwasher safe. You can place this wok in temperatures of up to 450 degrees in your oven.
The flared design makes it possible to access the content since the top is wider than the bottom. The corners are contoured to facilitate stirring, and the handles are ergonomic to let you handle the wok without high risk. You can monitor the cooking process thanks to the tempered glass lid, which lets you see inside the wok.
You'll get a lifetime warranty for this product, making it a secure purchase since you can always reach out to the manufacturer in case of any issues. The brushed stainless steel handles are well reinforced to ensure they are durable and functional for the longest time possible. Plus, the contemporary design of this wok makes it a unique addition to your kitchen.
6. T-fal Specialty Jumbo Wok
- Large capacity for cooking family size meals
- Superior nonstick interior and exterior make it easy to cook and clean; Healthy cooking...
- Aluminum construction for fast and even heat distribution
- Dishwasher safe; Oven safe upto 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Those looking for easy cooking and fast cleanups will be glad to see the T-Fal Specialty Jumbo Wok. It comes with a nonstick layer both inside and out to ensure cleaning is a breeze. At the same time, you'll never have to deal with stuck food on the cooking surface after preparing your stir fry.
It's 14 inches wide, ensuring it's a great tool for family-size meals. The wok base will distribute heat uniformly to ensure your food is evenly cooked. Additionally, the handle is ergonomically shaped, allowing you to place a firm, comfortable grip as you handle the wok.
There's a limited lifetime warranty for this product, and it's built to last, so you don't have to worry about your money going down the drain. This wok is oven safe and can endure up to 350 degrees, so you can use it in your oven if you want to. Plus, you'll never have to wash this wok by hand since it's dishwasher safe.
7. Ecolution Non-Stick Carbon Steel Wok
- Features a Non-Stick Coating that is PFOA Free which is safer for you and fewer greenhouse...
- Versatile Ideal for everything from stir fry to deep frying.
- Flat base for balance which also enables the wok to sit directly on the burner, maximizing...
- High heat transfer for even cooking. Suitable for Electric, Gas, Glass Ceramic stove tops.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Another option that counts as the best wok for electric stove cooking is this one by Ecolution. It's made from carbon steel material and features a nonstick coating inside to make it easy to release food. Cleaning is also made easier by the nonstick surface since it ensures food doesn't adhere as you cook.
You won't have difficulty holding the wok when cooking because it features soft-touch riveted handles. As such, you can safely lift and carry the wok with minimal chances of accidental slips. Plus, the flat bottom of the wok ensures it can stably sit on an induction cooktop, gas stove or electric stove.
The heavy-duty carbon steel is of premium quality and will ensure your wok lasts for decades. You can say goodbye to handwashing the wok since it's dishwasher safe and is easy to clean. This versatile wok can cook a variety of meals and will certainly be one of your favorite kitchen tools in no time.
8. Kenmore Hammond Flat Bottom Wok
- HAMMOND WOK: a versatile flat-bottom wok perfect for stir fry, steam, deep-fry, or even...
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX: 14” Flat Bottom Wok made from heavy gauge 1.8-millimeter carbon...
- NON-TOXIC COOKING: a PTFE and PFOA free non-stick interior that is heat resistant up to...
- STOVETOPS: the flat bottom that allows this wok to sit perfectly on all stovetops,...
- KENMORE: A brand that has been trusted throughout households for its excellent performance...
The Kenmore Hammond 14-inch wok is another option that can help you ensure your foods cook evenly. It's made from carbon steel for maximum durability, and it's pre-seasoned to ensure your meals taste better. It'll be an excellent addition to your metal utensils since it features a nonstick surface that prevents food from adhering for easy cleanups.
The cooking surface can retain heat for longer than standard woks, and it has a riveted handle made from acacia wood. It also features a helper handle allowing you to safely handle the wok as you lift it from the heat source. The flat base facilitates a stable performance on your cooktop, unlike a round wok.
Even if you are a newbie, this pan will deliver an outstanding performance since it's built to handle stir-frying, braising, deep-frying, and steaming dishes. The appearance of this wok will match your kitchen interior since it is designed to look professional enough for a chef to use.
9. BK Black Steel Seasoned Wok
- Crafted from pre-seasoned carbon steel, this wok is specially designed to develop a...
- Lightweight and easy to handle, this pan delivers the same great searing results as cast...
- Stronger and more durable than traditional carbon steel, Black Steel is...
- This incredibly heat responsive pan is oven safe up to 600°F and powerful enough for...
- Metal utensil safe
ned Wok is another excellent option for your wok cooking needs. It's made from carbon steel which ensures it can deliver long-lasting performance, and it's also pre-seasoned, allowing you to start using after a quick wash. Plus, it has a nonstick patina layer which improves over time.
This material is also better than traditional carbon steel because it can resist corrosion and is thrice as dense as aluminum. It has a lightweight build, and you won't have any trouble handling it in your kitchen. It's just like a cast iron wok without the additional bulkiness, which is why it could easily become your favorite wok.
This pan is heat responsive and can retain heat for a long while. It can also withstand temperatures of up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit, making it safe to use in your oven or on an open flame at the grill. The main downside is that it's exclusively designed for handwashing which can be tedious.
10. Amazon Basics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok Pan
- Pre-seasoned cast iron wok with side handles; oven safe to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cast iron for even heat distribution and retention; pre-seasoned products don't have...
- Always use hot-pads, oven mitts, or potholders while moving or removing cast iron cookware...
- Product Dimensions: 14.69 x 4.25 inches (Diam x H)
Lastly, we'll review the Amazon Basics Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok Pan as the best wok for electric stove use. This product is designed with durable cast iron material ensuring it can hold up in high temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit without becoming weaker. This means it's a great option if you want to use it on an elective stove, gas stove, or inside the oven.
The cast iron can facilitate an even distribution of heat to ensure your stir fry cooks uniformly. Additionally, it can retain heat for longer, allowing you to prepare several batches without reheating it while cooking. Unfortunately, there isn't a nonstick coating on this wok which is why you'll have to handwash it.
Unlike the other woks in this post, this one doesn't have a long handle or helper handle. Instead, it has the traditional design that requires you to use hot pads or oven mittens when removing the wok from the heat source.
What Materials are Woks Made From?E;EX
Woks are made from various materials that provide durability and functionality in the kitchen. Let's discuss some of the common types of woks you'll encounter on the market.
1. Carbon Steel Woks
These woks are the most popular among wok users. A carbon steel wok is a great tool because the material is naturally lightweight without compromising durability. Even heavy gauge carbon steel can deliver even heat distribution and ensure long-lasting heat retention.
If you plan to cook in a campfire, carbon steel woks are the ideal choice. You'll need to season your carbon steel pan, but with time, it'll darken and form a nice patina. It's a common choice for any professional chef because it can deliver exceptional results. There are many reasons we could say that this material makes the best wok for electric stove cooking.
2. Stainless Steel Woks
A stainless steel wok looks great in any kitchen since it has a highly polished surface that looks appealing. Plus, since they don't normally feature any type of coating, they don't alter the flavor of the dish you make. With proper maintenance, a stainless steel wok can last decades without rust or corrosion.
The stainless steel surface doesn't need to be seasoned and is easy to clean because it's dishwasher safe. So, if you are looking for a hands-free cleaning experience, a stainless steel wok is what you need.
3. Cast Iron Woks
Cast iron cookware is normally heavy and comes with unique thermal conductivity properties allowing it to quickly conduct and distribute heat as you cook. If you are mostly deep frying your foods, a cast iron wok is the way to go. Unfortunately, you'll need to give your cast iron wok special care to ensure it lasts as long as you need it to.
Since this material can withstand high temperatures, you can use this wok on any cooking surface, including a gas or electric stove. It's also an excellent pick if you will make huge batches of stir fry. The main reason people don't like cast iron is that it's heavy.
4. Aluminum Woks
Aluminum is lighter than steel, but it's still a durable material for making woks. As a result, aluminum woks are easier to handle than their cast iron and stainless steel counterparts.
Luckily aluminum features a unique ability to conduct heat fast, helping you prepare your meals within minimum time. Over time, aluminum woks tend to lose color, which is one of the challenges of this material.
5. Titanium Woks
Another material that can make the best wok for electric stove use is titanium. It's another lightweight option that facilitates a quick transfer of heat to minimize cooking time. Fortunately, titanium is high quality and will make woks that can last for a long while.
If you get a wok with scratch-resistant coating, you'll enjoy an easier time maintaining it since it'll provide nonstick qualities. This can make it a dishwasher-safe option that can spare you the trouble of handwashing your wok.
What are the Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Wok for Electric Stove?
There are several factors that you'll need to keep in mind when choosing the best wok for electric stoves.
1. Nonstick Surface
If you don't want to deal with stuck ingredients on the surface of your wok, it'll be safer to get a nonstick pan. It'll ensure you can easily release the food from the wok to the plates or a dish. Unfortunately, nonstick coatings can flake, peel, or chip off over time which is why they aren't the most durable option.
Nonstick woks can't withstand the temperatures other woks normally do since they have a lower threshold. Nevertheless, they make it easy to clean the wok since they make it dishwasher friendly.
The next thing to consider is the ideal size for the amount of food you want to make. Woks vary in size ranging anywhere between 8 inches to 36 inches. Your choice mostly depends on how many people you feed or how many servings you wish to prepare. You'll also have to think about the size in relation to the oven you have since some woks won't fit.
3. Round Bottom vs. Flat Bottom
Round bottomed woks are the more traditional design compared to flat bottoms. They require a special burner that can hold them without toppling over. Round woks can give you exceptional results, but you'll need a wok ring to use them on your electric stove. If it's hard to get a hold of a ring, you're better off with a flat-bottom wok since it will sit stably on the stove without wobbling.
4. Heating Capacity
The type of food you wish to prepare with the wok will determine the heating capacity you should check for. That's because your recipes could require the oven to be hotter than a particular threshold which could damage your wok. As such, you'll need to take high-quality materials like stainless steel if you are dealing with extremely high temperatures.
The handles will determine the ease of use of the wok. It can be tricky lifting and carrying a wok full of hot stir fry without the proper handles. The best handles are made of insulating, heat-resistant materials like wood and could come with a helper handle to ensure you can handle the wok without hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What wok is good for an electric stove?
The Joyce Chen Flat Bottom Wok is your best option to cook stir fry on your electric stove.
2. Can you use a wok on a glass-top electric stove?
Yes, you can. But, it'll have to be a flat bottomed wok.
3. How can I use a round-bottomed wok on my electric stove?
To ensure your round bottom wok won't wobble as you cook your meal, you'll need to place a wok ring to keep the wok in place.